An easy walk with great views across the Bristol Channel, visiting the historic church of St Andrews (and Broadchurch TV location), Clevedon Sea Front and strolling in the footsteps of poets Coleridge and Tennyson
Total Distance: 4 miles
Total Ascent: 154 feet
Estimated Walking Time: 2h 5mins
The walk starts at the end of Old Church Road and follows the sea wall (there and back with a slight loop) then heads to St Andrews Church and graveyard (well worth a visit: http://www.standrews-clevedon.org.uk/ ) and then onto Poet’s Walk, passing through the southern part of Clevedon seafront.
If you like wild birds, take binoculars. Shelducks, Curlew, Dunlin, Redshanks and Knots are visitors alongside the sea wall.
2. Go though the metal bike barrier and continue on cinder track looping round to the right
3. Bear left downhill off the cinder track and continue in the same direction on the Tarmac track over the sluice and through the metal gate. Continue walking on the cinder path between the golf course
4. Bear right and continue to sea wall
5. Continue along the sea wall with the sea on your right
6. Bear right, slightly downhill on a short Tarmac path to meet the lower sea wall. Continue along the sea wall with the sea on your right
7. Bear diagonally left away from the lower sea wall and upon reaching the higher sea wall turn left and follow with the sea now on your left
8. Retrace your steps and continue along the main sea wall, between the golf course, and back to the metal gate
9. Carry on ahead along the lower Tarmac path
10. Turn right down the concrete steps and at the bottom turn left to cross Marshall’s Field to a wooden footbridge crossing Land Yeo
11. Cross over the wooden bridge and walk up St David’s Drive to meet Old Church Road
12. Turn right onto Old Church Road and then almost immeadiately left up Church Close and walk up to the entrance of St Andrew’s Church
13. You may wish to visit St Andrews church (if open).
With the entrance to the church behind you take the Tarmac path heading diagonally left and go through the metal gate. Once through the gate carry on ahead (do not take the path on the left)
14. Turn left onto Salthouse Road and walk past the children’s playing area (on the right) and to the sea wall infront of the swimming lake.
15. At the sea wall turn left and walk up the steps to the start of Poets Walk. Follow Poets Walk to the right and then left up some steps and follow all the way to back to the start at the end of Old Church Road.
16. Return to Old Church Road
For more guides to getting about Clevedon, see our Walking Guides