This is a reasonably challenging walk along the Clevedon to Portishead coastal path, crossing over the Gordano Valley to visit the Black Horse Pub at Clapton and then back to Clevedon via the Failand Ridge and Dial Hill
This is an interesting and reasonably challenging walk along the Clevedon to Portishead coastal path offering great views of the sea, coast and across to Wales. At Black Nore Lighthouse the route heads inland, past the old Naval College to walk around Great Weston Wood and then crosses the Gordano Valley to visit the Black Horse Pub at Clapton. After the pub the route visits Clapton Church, Clapton Court and then back to Clevedon via the Failand Ridge and Dial Hill
Total Distance: 14 miles
Total Ascent: 1620 feet
Estimated Walking Time: 7h 40mins
2. Just before where the Marine Parade meets Marine Hill turn left onto the Tarmac footpath (coast path) and follow with the sea on your left to Black Nore Lighthouse (approx. 4 miles)
3. At Black Nore Lighthouse turn right away from the sea, through a gate, cross the access road and then go up the footpath to the left of the old Naval College (the large building on the right)
4. Where the footpath meets Nore Road, cross over the road (with care), turn right and shortly after turn left into Somerset Road. At the back of the estate, on the right, is the start of the zig-zag path which you take up to the top.
5. At the top of the Zig-Zag Path turn left into Hawthorne Close. Take the steps at the end of the cul-de-sac then turn right up some more steps and turn left into Marconi Road which then bends to the right up to the main road
6. Turn left onto Down Road. Cross the road and after passing High Down School, turn right onto The Downs (road)
7. Go through the wooden gate and head across the field being sure to take the correct path, as there are three.
8. Go through the gap in the hedge and continue following the mapped route, keeping to the left of Weston Big Wood. Be careful navigating as there are many crossing paths.
9. After descending across the grass and at the top of Weston Wood Road, turn right onto the footpath and continue, skirting the bottom of Weston Big Wood
10. Enter the woods and keep to the path ahead with open fields on the left (visable through the trees). Shortly take the lower path and follow the wire fence on the left to exit the quarry area onto an access track to houses
11. Turn left onto a small footpath alongside a fence to the main Clevedon to Portishead Road. Cross the road with care and turn left. Then turn right along the farm access road
12. Turn right off the main farm access road and shortly after turn left to follow a ditch and wire fence on the left. Pass the farm on the left and cross the bridge over the wide rhyne. Where you meet a cinder track carry on ahead.
13. Follow the cinder track to the left, ignoring the path leading off to the right
14. Turn right off the cinder track, through the wooden gate, and cross three fields to a wooden gate
15. At the wooden gate turn right, through another gate to enter a small farmyard and lane, passing to the right of houses, and onto Clevedon Lane. Turn right along Clevedon Lane passing the Black Horse Inn on your right
16. Where the power cables cross Clevedon Lane, turn off slightly left onto a footpath going between houses and onto an open field. Continue ahead with the hedge on the right to Clapton Church
17. Go through the metal gate and turn right down the church access road. At Clevedon Lane turn left and follow the road around Clapton Court
18. Turn left off Clevedon Lane into the farmyard and head uphill to the top of the track. Turn right up the grassy slope and go through a metal gate into a field. Cross several fields passing through metal gates to a telephone mast
19. Just past the telephone mast, next to the motorway, go through the metal gate and follow the path alongside the M5 and then cross the pedestrian bridge over the M5. After crossing the M5 turn right and continue uphill to an estate road.
20. At the estate road turn right and shortly after (just before metal gates) turn left onto a small footpath leading to Cadbury Camp Road and then turn right
21. Continue ahead on Cadbury Camp Lane. If you wish to visit Cadbury Camp, go through the metal gate on the left and after walking the ramparts return back to Cadbury Camp Lane
22. By the small parking area, turn right off Cadbury Camp Lane and take the path crossing the M5. Then continue up the concrete track, with the M5 on the left, passing to the right of the telephone mast, and through a metal gate, then continuing along the Failand Ridge
23. After passing the house (house on left) there is a viewpoint and seat on the right overlooking the Gordano Valley
24. At the junction of paths take the left hand path and follow the mapped route through the woods to All Saints Church. Please follow route carefully as there are many crossing paths!
25. Once through the woods, pass All Saints Church on your right. At the main road use the Pelican Crossing on the right to cross the road and then turn left. Shortly after turn right up Strawberry Hill
26. Turn off Strawberry Hill onto the footpath heading diagonally left (just opposite a telegraph pole) and continue following the mapped route through the woods to emerge onto Old Park Road
27. Continue ahead up Old Park Road to the junction of 5 roads and continue on Old Park Road to Esmond Grove where you turn left
28. Turn right and walk along the boundary of houses with the Cricket Ground on your left. Carry on ahead up to the Trig point on top of Dial Hill
29. From the Dial Hill Trig Point bear left towards a single metal seat. At the metal seat turn right and descend the wooden steps. At the bottom turn left and cross Dial Hill Road and take the footpath opposite
30. From the Dial Hill Trig Point bear left towards a single metal seat. At the metal seat turn right and descend the wooden steps. At the bottom turn left and cross Dial Hill Road and take the footpath opposite
31. Turn right onto a small path running down the back of houses to a road. At the road go diagonally left down Marine Parade and back to the start